Dear Junior Designers
I never thought I'd be that girl. The one that felt 'too busy' to look at a resumé, or click through a portfolio. And then it happened. ZinePak decided to hire. There was an avalanche of interest. But what started out as hope and excitement, quickly turned to frustration and VERY quick judgements.
Lucky for my attention deficit issues, unlucky for a lot of Jr Designers, the process went way too quickly. Below are my simple tips to make sure someone like me looks at the awesome work done by someone like you!
- Do some research. Do you know what the company does? Have you cruised LinkedIn and Google? (It will be obvious if you haven't!) And please make sure you spell the company's name correctly! Along with you're/your and any words a spell checker would find.
- Include a non-generic cover letter/email/note. And it doesn't need to be long and rambly. Just a few lines that include who you are, where you are, why you're interested in THAT job. Add a simple signature at the bottom with your name, phone number, and web address. Done. Woop woop!
- Please attach your resumé to the email. A pdf. Easy peasy.
- And about that resumé ... If you're applying for a design job, design it. Simple is good but add a little flair and personality. Just make sure it isn't (a) hard to read; (b) confusing, or (c) scary.
- Portfolio. Portfolio. Portfolio. I want to see your work. But please don't make me dig for it because I promise you I won't. A link should be in your cover letter and PROMINENT on your resumé - bonus if it's clickable!
- Don't over promise. If an interview is scheduled it means that I looked at your work. And liked it. And I read your resumé and felt confident that you could be a good fit. Now I want to get to know YOU and your REAL capabilities. If you embellish your skills it will soon become obvious. I'm all about faking it 'til you make it, but this is not the time or place! PLEASE don't over promise or oversell.
If you're looking for some feedback on your work, cover letter or resumé, I am happy to take a look! Email me HERE or, better yet, let's do happy hour!